THE MAKING OF

THIS BLOG IS CONTRIBUTED TO THE PROCESS OF MAKING MY FINAL MAJOR PROJECT

Sunday 18 March 2012

Female Character: LIFE CAST

I want masks and costumes to be custom fitted, therefore I'm starting my work with taking a life cast of my models. Life casting can be very stressful, especially to someone who has never had done it before, and it's important to make sure that your model knows what is going to happen (a day prior the full head casting I made a trial cast on my model's face - just to give her an idea how does it feel).




Tip 1: To avoid air-gaps in the alginate cast it may be a good idea to make it more runny, but make sure that the layer is thick and strong enough!


Tip 2: Before applying plaster bandage directly on the skin put a thin layer of cream (ideally Nivea). Vaseline can also be used, although petroleum will clog pores (skin won't 'breathe'), and intensify the temperature of a curing plaster - which may affect blood circulation and fainting (especially when casting a large part of the body).



Full head cast and two part body cast (I made them separate so they are ligh and portable ready for the next steps: sculpting and fibre glass moulding.

No comments:

Post a Comment