THE MAKING OF

THIS BLOG IS CONTRIBUTED TO THE PROCESS OF MAKING MY FINAL MAJOR PROJECT

Saturday 31 March 2012

Female Character: COSTUME - PREGNANT BELLY

On top of the abdomen part of my body cast, I sculpted a face of a crying baby using a water based clay (for  fast sculpting). The baby's face is about the size of a 13-week pregnant belly, and its facial expression symbolises the fear of death (terminating the pregnancy which is going to happen).
 

Next I made a one-part fibre glass mould of the sculpt. Because the gel coat doesn't set properly when in contact with moisture, it is important to make sure that the water based clay id fairly dry (but not too dry so it doesn't crack). Also, a few layers of J-wax or Bees wax need to be applied in order to keep the moisture separated and for an easy release afterwards. Using only a couple of layers of a fibre glass matt, I made my mould fairly thin as there will be no tension or force applied.


 Because previously I covered my casts with thin layer of PVC it is now very easy to remove from its surface any access clay or resin.After the edges of my mould are trimmed and sanded, it is time to test the materials in which the final cast will be made.


Below two test casts made from make up gelatine (left) and latex (right).  I discovered that the latex is stronger and stretches better than the gelatine, but it is a little tricky in terms of colouring because of its naturaly yellowish shade. The gelatine colours easily, but has very short working time and is quite fragile. For this reson I chose to use latex.


 In the meantime I made the patterns and cut them out from leather. I will be using D-rings as a 'holders' because they nicely adapt the belts in relation to the main piece and the model's body.


A velcro is glued onto the back side of the main piece as well as the 'back wall'. The latex baby face is fixed around with the net pieces (tiul) which, when placed between the velcro, holds the latex firmly in position.


And this is how the pregnant belly piece looks on the model.




Having the main piece ready, I need to make the final cast of baby's face. I have done many tests with coloured latex, and chose to make it in pale flesh tone and paint it with the mix of Pros Aid and acrylics.
I'm using Pros Aid to make sure that the layers of colour will be as stretchy as latex (let's remember that the latex will be pulled and stretched during the performance).



Once the belly piece is completed it is time to make it match the rest of the costume (the same process of 'ageing' and 'wearing down' the leather as with the mask, neck piece, and the bra). Also the fasteners, rivets, and buckles are mattified and aged with thinned nail varnish (I used the 'French' mexed with brown).
















Finished piece on the model


and during light tests


...






No comments:

Post a Comment