THE MAKING OF

THIS BLOG IS CONTRIBUTED TO THE PROCESS OF MAKING MY FINAL MAJOR PROJECT

Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Prop


The prop is a 13 weeks old human fetus. Before sculpting I gathered photo references to learn about the size, proportions, and colours. Having the measurements, I made a wire armature and sculpted the fetus is shavant. The fetus was sculpted with its arms spread, as later it is going to be attached to the crucifix.
On the pictures below is final sculpt during the preparation for moulding in fibre glass (the sculpt is 'walled' with clay, sprayed over with J-Wax, and brushed lightly with talcum powder).










Two-part fibre glass mould of human fetus: finished and ready for casting.

 

I applied a couple of layers of a pale flesh-tone latex on to my mould. In meantime I bent two pieces of cotton covered wire (to fit the arms and the legs) and sank them in to the latex. I used the wire in order to stiffen the very thin arms and legs. Because the J-foam (which will be used to fill up the inside of my prop) may not spread beyond the elbows and knees, I fill these parts with latex and small pieces of sponge-foam.
When the latex is dry, I apply another thin layer on to the parts which will bond together after the mould is closed. After closing the mould and screwing tightly together, I leave it for a couple of hours to let the latex dry. And because there are bleeding holes in my mould, I know latex will dry properly instead of 'sweating'.
Finally I pour J-foam inside the mould and leave it to cure. I'm using J-foam 162,  mixing ratio 2:1 by weight to produce a fairly soft foam (to make sure that the cast can be removed from the mould easily).

                                                                


When removed from the mould, the prop can be now trimmed along the seam line. To do this I use a pair of surgical curved scissors and microscissors.


Because this prop is for a life performance, I need to make two crucifixes: one on its own for the early scenes and one with the fatus attachel for the later scene. When the crosses are ready, the prop is painted with Skin Illustrator and attached to one of them.

Finished piece:


No comments:

Post a Comment