THE MAKING OF

THIS BLOG IS CONTRIBUTED TO THE PROCESS OF MAKING MY FINAL MAJOR PROJECT

Thursday 12 April 2012

Female Character: COSTUME - BREASTS

  Using a water based clay I sculpted the breasts on top of my body cast. An alginate cast of my model's     breast served me as a reference point.


 Final sculpt of the breasts ready for fibre glass moulding.


 I made a one part fibre glass mould into which I moulded the leather. I used a small bone folder to get into the narrow shapes of the veins.


  Once the leather breasts are ready, I'm starting to make a pattern for the top-part of female costume.

                           

 The pattern is tranfered on to the leather and cut out. Next it is soaked in warm water and moulded on top of the plaster body cast. When the main piece is formed and dry, both breast pieces are bonded on to it with Evo Stik. The size of the leather breasts is bigger (pregnancy swelling) than the naturalal size of model's breasts, so make sure that the 'bra' is comfortable and looking good (and natural) on the model, I padded the breasts with a sponge-soft foam.










Once the fasteners and buckel are fixed, it is time to 'wear down' the leather. Just like for the mask, I used thinned leather dye, self-made tools to rub off the colour, and hair wax to polish the leather.



Finished piece on the performer (with the neck piece and the mask):


1 comment: