THE MAKING OF

THIS BLOG IS CONTRIBUTED TO THE PROCESS OF MAKING MY FINAL MAJOR PROJECT

Friday 13 April 2012

Male Character: MASK

Just like for the female character's costume, I took a life cast of the male character - full head and torso.


Starting with the mask, I moulded the leather on top of the head cast. I didn't sculpt the shapes prior like I did with the female mask. I'm still using the sheep leather, and to fix the shapes and creases I simply dried them with the hair dryer. Then I worked out the pattern for the fastening straps.

















Once the straps are measured and cut, I fix them with small belt buckles. For this I need to use a hole puncher and a 3mm double head rivet. It is very important to choose the right size puncher and rivets: if the hole is too large the rivet will come out - especially from a stretchy leather just like the one I'm using. The rivets should be chosen not only for their head size, but also for the lenght of the stem which should match the thickness of the leather pieces that will be fixed together.


To make the straps look neat, and matching the rest of the mask, i soaked the edges with water and roll them up and back. Sometimes, if the leather is thick, it is good to trim the edges with a surgical blade and then shaped. When dried, the rolled up edges can be glued for a permanent fix.

 

Completed male mask below
                                                                     
 
 
When ready, the mask needs to be painted and the leather 'aged'. I tested the Fiebing's Leather Dye in advance, so now I have some thinned dye which I'm going to apply little by little to add various shades and dimension. Although the dye and thinner are alcohol based, it has to be remembered that their first apearance on the leather surface is darker because of the moist. Once the alcohol evaporates (and that is within minutes) the colour will become lighter and ready for the next application if required. It is best to work with lighter colour and keep adding it gradually than use stronger one, as it will be impossible to remove it. To apply facial stubble (in character) I use an irregular piece of reticulated foam and pure unthinned dye. To 'age ' the leather I use various tools and materials: metal dish scrubber (for a harsh treatment) and a ball of tiul (for a milder treatment) to rub off previously dyed leather, and a hair wax to add some shine and 'age'. I found  the hair wax very useful because it is nicely absorbed by the leather without leaving a grease-film on the surface, and it can be applied repeatedly if neaded gradually darkening the leather. The wax must be applied AFTER the colouring, otherwise it will prevent the dye from sinking into the leather.
  


Finished mask on the performer


and during the light tests




                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment